Annual Backpack ProgramDid you know that approximately 47,000 children in Fairfax County Public Schools receive free or reduced-price meals? For these families, the prospect of purchasing backpacks and supplies their children need to start the school year is stressful, especially when they are struggling with basic needs.
Your support of WFCM’s Annual Backpack Program helped provide backpacks to 1,995 students in 23 elementary, middle, and high schools in Centreville, Chantilly, Clifton, and Fairfax! We exceeded the number of children we supported in 2012.
WFCM partnered for the third year with Collect for Kids, www.collectforkids.org, in a county-wide effort to ensure the neediest children in our community receive the supplies they need to succeed in school. The program is made possible through a partnership with Kids R First, Fairfax County Public Schools, the Fairfax County Office of Public and Private Partnerships, Apple Federal Credit Union and numerous community-based organizations in the Fairfax County are who are working together to efficiently provide basic and necessary school supplies and backpacks to over 20,000 students.
We appreciate the generosity of our local community in partnering with us in our backpack program! Thank you to the following churches, businesses, and community groups for their participation in WFCM’s Annual Backpack Program in 2013:
- Apple Federal Credit Union, Centreville and Chantilly branches
- Cedar Run Community Church
- Centreville Baptist Church
- Centreville United Methodist Church
- Centreville/Chantilly Rotary Club
- Chantilly Bible Church
- Christ Presbyterian Church
- Christ Central Presbyterian Church
- Church of the Blessed Trinity
- Church of the Epiphany
- Fairfax Church of Christ
- King of Kings Lutheran Church
- Korean Central Presbyterian Church
- Lord of Life Lutheran Church
- Mount Olive Baptist Church
- New Life Christian church
- Ox Hill Baptist Church
- Pender United Methodist Church
- Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church
- Quest Diagnostics
- Saint Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church
- Saint Andrew Lutheran Church
- Shepherd Gate Church
- St. John’s Episcopal Church
- St. Timothy's Catholic Church, Vincent de Paul Society
- Westfield Business Owner’s Association
If you would like to learn more about WFCM's Annual Backpack or to find out how to help next year, please contact Jennie Bush, email@example.com.
Rebecca Watrud, Chantilly High School Counselor, said “Thank you again for all the backpacks. As always, the students are overwhelmed to see so many to choose from, relieved that an expense has been taken off a parent’s shoulder, and excited to see what we have packed inside (supplies from Kids R First). Without exception, every student makes a point of thanking us. Thanks for all WFCM (Western Fairfax Christian Ministries) does to help our community!”
Anne Flannagan, School Counselor, Centre Ridge Elementary, writes “On behalf of Centre Ridge Elementary, I would like to thank you for donating backpacks to our school. We truly appreciate your generosity. The students are so appreciative and excited for a new school year.”